Saturday, March 12, 2016

Saturday Scribblings- Daylight Savings Edition


Well, it's here again whether we like or not. Daylight Savings Time (DST) begins tonight. Okay, it officially begins tomorrow morning at 2:00 a.m., but I've never been one to stay up to set my clocks forward. We always just change them before we go to bed. I don't even know if my body has gotten used to standard time, and it has to change all over again. I suppose I could wax on about the political and business ramifications of the time change or even the history, but there are a lot of people who are much wiser than I where you can go to read about it. For instance, you can read the history behind it here. I will say one more thing about it, however. Just remember that Benjamin Franklin was the instigator of DST, and he was also the one who thought the turkey should be our national bird. Just sayin'.
flowers in the backyard


Yesterday I was feeling well enough to work a little bit in the backyard. I mostly just weeded and put leaves in the yard debris bin. The fun part was seeing the color in places that I didn't expect. It was raining a bit, but that didn't deter me at all. I figured when I am feeling okay and the weather isn't terrible then I need to be working outside. That way, hopefully, our yard will be ready for when Summer comes.


close up of triptych



I was able to make another pocket oratory this week. It was a triptych custom order with St. Gianna Molla, two prayers- the Hail Mary and Prayer to the Trinity, and St. Francis of Asissi. It's always such a joy to be able to help others come closer to the Lord with these little bits of light!


green rosary case





I've also been working on some new rosary cases as well. I was really pleased with this green wool felt one with The Blessed Mother and the Hail Mary. I'm so happy to have these in my Etsy shop. You can find these at Piccolo Di Luce.





I've also decided when I'm not having a dizzy day that I need to try to do as much as I am able. Besides working out in the yard and up in the sewing room, I've also been trying to do small things to keep up the kitchen. I took a little time to shine up our thrift store OXO brand tea kettle. Using some elbow grease and a smidgen of Bon Ami cleanser, it turned out so pretty and shiny!
time for tea

Last but not least is a recipe for an Apple Dutch Baby Pancake. It's what I made last Sunday for our brunch after Mass. It was so delicious and easy to make. Buono Appeitito!

Yummy!
Apple Dutch Baby Pancake

Batter:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 medium firm apples such as Gala or Jonagold, sliced thin
3/4 c. all purpose flour
3/4 c. milk
1/4 t. baking powder
1 T. granulated sugar
4 eggs

Topping:
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. ground nutmeg
1/4 t. ground cloves
1/4 t. ground allspice

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400. Place butter in cast iron skillet or 7 x 11 pan, and put in oven. 
Whisk flour, milk, baking powder, 1 T. sugar, and eggs in small bowl.  (You can do this part in a blender instead). Combine topping ingredients.
Place sliced apples into bottom of skillet or pan; return to oven and cook for 5 minutes.
Pour batter over apples and sprinkle with topping. Bake for 20-25 or until golden brown and puffy. Serve with maple syrup.
Serves 4








No comments:

Post a Comment