Friday, June 7, 2013

Another Strawberry Idea

My Five Favorites posting this week was all about berries. Knowing they'll be in season for a while longer, I needed to figure out what to do with the ones sitting in my fridge. After perusing various ideas, I thought strawberry salsa sounded fun. I combined a couple of ideas I found plus added a couple of my own. So if you're looking for another recipe for your strawberries, here's one for you. Feel free to change it up according to what you have at home!

Strawberry Salsa
6 cups strawberries, chopped
1 cup onion, diced ( I used yellow, but red or even green would work)
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced (you can add more if you like it spicier)
small bunch cilantro, chopped (be sure to chop up everything, no need to throw away the stems!)
1/2 t. salt
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic (fresh would work fine too- probably 2 cloves, minced)

Gently mix all ingredients in bowl until blended. Store in refrigerator for an hour or more to meld flavors!

Update: I just ate some of this with my lunch of pan-fried bread, cheese and guacamole. It was delicious with the strawberries taking on that role of the tomato and all the rest of the ingredients going together really well!

No comments:

Post a Comment