Friday, June 7, 2013

Seven Quick Takes Friday

                                              

--- 1 ---
Last Wednesday the kids and I went up to Sacred Heart Church in Gervais to attend a Confirmation Mass for a number of young people. We were there specifically for two of the young men we've gotten to know at St. Joseph's, Aidan and Dominic. The Mass was celebrated by Archbishop Sample, the diocese of Portland's Archbishop since April.
It was a beautiful Mass, and his homily was just what we all needed to hear. He talked about confirmation not being a graduation but a beginning of being more involved in The Church. So many times Catholics today think confirmation means they are done with learning about their faith, but we have a terrific opportunity to continue to learn throughout our lives as Catholics. My advice to Aidan and Dominic and all young people who were confirmed throughout The Church this year is to keep digging deeper into the depths of knowledge and wisdom the Catholic Church offers~ it's an amazing journey that you've just started!
--- 2 ---
One thing doing the 7 quick takes has helped me with is looking at new blogs I might not have checked out before. One such blog is House Unseen-Life Unscripted. Please take a moment and pray for Dwija as she is going through some really tough things regarding her pregnancy right now. Check out her blog and leave her a commment. 

--- 3 ---
Sometimes I feel like I've got the grown up wife and mom thing down, and then there are other times I feel like I've blown it. This week has been closer to the blown it side of things as I have been letting the hormones rock me into being a basket case. I am pretty sure the real reason why women in the Old Testament were sent out of camp during their "time of the month" wasn't the cleanliness thing but the PMS they were going through. I am also pretty sure my family would be happy to send me out of camp the house for about a week every month...just saying it might be an idea.

--- 4 ---
David showed me an article about Baltimore Ravens football player (also husband and father of five), Matt Birk and how he didn't attend the White House with the rest of the team to be honored by President Obama. His reason- “I have great respect for the office of the presidency but about five or six weeks ago, our president made a comment in a speech and he said, ‘God bless Planned Parenthood,’” Birk, a former Minnesota Viking, told a local Minnesota sports blog. “I’m very confused by [Obama's] statement,” he explained. “”For God to bless a place where they’re ending 330,000 lives a year? I just chose not to attend.” He’s a pro-life Roman Catholic (like there should be any other kind). “Planned Parenthood performs about 330,000 abortions a year,” he said. “I couldn’t endorse that in any way.” This is the kind of Catholic man who we need today~ thank you, Matt for standing up for what is right!

--- 5 ---
I was listening to Kresta in the Afternoon yesterday when Al was talking with Dr. Regis Martin, Professor of Theology at Franciscan University of Stubenville. I found out he's written a new book titled, Still Point: Loss, Longing, and Our Search for God. After hearing them discuss the contents of the book, I am looking forward to reading it and passing it along.




--- 6 ---

Graduation time is upon us in Oregon and upon our extended family and friends this weekend. My adopted sister, Holly, is graduating from South Salem High School and niece Jeanette is graduating from Grants Pass High School plus Ron and Shelly West's second son, Christopher, will don his cap and gown at Sprague. While we won't be attending the actual ceremonies for the girls or Chris, we'll be heading down to Grants Pass tomorrow to celebrate with Jeanette and family. Holly's party is next weekend and Chris' the following week. I've been having a fun time figuring out what to do for the kids gift-wise. This, of course, is where Pinterest has once again helped out. Once I get everything finished, I'll be sure to post photos 

(I want to wait on the very small chance one of the kids might read this!

--- 7 ---
Okay, #7 is a quick and easy recipe for you to try this weekend or sometime soon while fresh fruit is in season. It can be served with cookies or even homemade poundcake. 

Balsamic Strawberries with Vanilla Ice Cream 
1 pint strawberries, quartered 
1/4 cup sugar 
4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar 
1/2 gallon vanilla bean ice-cream 
fresh basil sprigs for garnish

1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium bowl; let stand 20-30 minutes at room temperature, stirring occasionally. 
2. Spoon strawberry mixture over ice cream. Garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.


For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

No comments:

Post a Comment