Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Three Recipes and a Doughnut

Okay...this was originally started a few weeks ago, but I got too busy to finish it (sorry)! So here it is for you anyway...
Yesterday was my day off, so after attending 7:00a.m. Mass with the kids, it was time to experiment with some new recipes. These were all on my iPad (Christmas gift from hubby) from the very popular (and sometime time consuming) Pinterest. After going on Mary's Pinterest account for a few weeks, I decided it would be better to just get my own account. Mary had admonished me to be sure to actually use the stuff I pin instead of just pinning on my board. (For those of you who haven't gotten sucked into the Pinterest vortex- it's a fun way to find ideas and then keep them on "boards" you share with others). This long explanation is the reason behind my trying these new recipes!

The first thing to share is Cheesy Kale Pesto Bites ~ I actually made these Sunday for a baby shower, but it's too good not to share!
Kale Pesto
4 cups packed kale leaves (I used a package from Trader Joe's- it's cut, washed & ready to use!)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 garlic cloves 
juice from 1 lemon
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup olive or grapeseed oil

Mix all ingredients in food processor until fairly smooth paste. Serve with pasta or in Cheesy Kale Pesto Bites.

Cheesy Kale Pesto Bites
1 batch kale pesto
1 cup rice flour
1/2 cup melted butter
2 eggs
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients in medium bowl. Shape into walnut-sized pieces. Place on parchment or silpat lined baking sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool slightly on rack before serving.




Homemade Harissa- it's so yummy!
Recipe #2- Harissa
(adapted from Saveur)
8 dried guajillo chiles, stemmed and seeded- about 2 oz.
8 dried New Mexico chiles, stemmed and seeded- about 1 1/2 oz.
1/2 tsp. caraway seeds
1/4 cumin seeds
1 tsp. dried peppermint leaves
3 tbsp. grapeseed oil, plus more if needed
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
5 cloves garlic
2 tsp. lemon juice
Place chiles in medium bowl, cover with boiling water and let sit until softened. Grind caraway, cumin and peppermint leaves in coffee or spice grinder (I use my Proctor Silex coffee grinder- bought just for spices) Drain chiles and place in food processor along with everything else. Turn on processor until everything is combined into a paste. Pour into jar and cover with 1/2" or so oil to help keep it longer.
Homemade American Cheese (aka Velveeta)!!!!!!

Recipe #3- American Cheese 
I copied this one straight off the blog From Away which is definitely one of my favorite food blogs. I am pretty sure the great photos have something to do with it although the fact that the food always sounds delicious AND they are in New England which helps me feel a bit closer to Josh might help a little. I knew the minute I saw this recipe I needed to make it. It was as good as I thought it would be! Now, you know you want to try it too, so gather up the stuff and get cooking!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment