Thursday, August 25, 2016

Thursday Random Ramblings

So I said I was going to start being more consistent in my blogging, and I almost blew it in the first week. It's been a little busy around here as we have been shipping kids off to school, preparing for the Oregon State Fair & trying to stay cool during this last part of August.

I've got just a couple of thoughts for you on this Thursday evening. Nothing profound, mind you, just some random ramblings from an overheated almost empty nester.



One of the things that I enjoy doing with my kids is watching movies that they pick out. We've watched some good ones this summer, and I knew Josh would want to probably watch one while he's been home this week. His choice was Gran Torino starring Clint Eastwood. He warned me that I might be bothered by the swearing, and it would be okay if I wanted to watch something else. I will admit he was totally correct on the amount of swearing, but it did not detract from this amazing film. All I will say is if you haven't watched it, please do so. It is definitely not okay for children (due to language and violence), but it is one of the best films I have ever seen on the meaning of redemption. 



I've been able to do some crafting this summer which has been a lot of fun. I get the opportunity to work with my mom at the Oregon State Fair demonstrating the HandiQuilter for the next couple of weeks. With this in mind I fixed up a plain t-shirt to show a bit of creativity using Carrie Bloomston fabric. Since we're demonstrating a quilting machine, I made this Nancy Drew inspired quilt top to work on while we're there. It's going to be a great experience as I get to hang out with my mom, quilt and be at the fair!



 
“This is not just a book; it offers consolation to the whole of humanity.” 
—Giuseppe Verdi
The last little thought is to share one of the books I'm reading right now. Just like with movies, my kids do a terrific job of suggesting books for me to read. Josh had told me about this book he read called The Betrothed by Alessandro Manzoni. First published in 1827, it is considered to be the most famous Italian novel ever written. I am only about 1/3 of the way through, and I have enjoyed every minute of this book!

So there it is. My bits and bobbles of thought on this Thursday. May the rest of your week be filled with love, joy and laughter! 

No comments:

Post a Comment