Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Summertime, and the Reading is Easy

I'd like to say the lazy dog days of summer are here, but the only thing lazy about it would possibly be our black lab, Ruby.
 

When I do have some "lazy" time, I really enjoy reading good books. This summer I've enjoyed          re-reading The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien ( I give the author's name in case you've been living under a rock). I wrote about some of the other books on my shelf a few posts back. I usually buy less than one new book a year (not counting gems from Dollar Tree), but 2014 has been an exception. My latest purchase came last night at Costco. One of my favorite authors is Dean Koontz. He has a way of writing that is much deeper than one expects for the genre under which his works are usually classified. The first time I bought one of his books was in a used bookstore on the Oregon coast. I figured they'd be under mysteries, but I could not find a single one. After finally asking the clerk, she took me to the horror section upon where my eyes perused a plethora of Mr. Koontz' books. Even though I felt weird buying something from that particular section, I walked out with three different novels. Since then I have not only read many of his books, I've also given a few for gifts. This brings me to last evening's purchase. I was only there for some essentials, dog food, dairy-free milk, gluten-free bread, etc. when I stopped by the book section. There it was...

...just waiting for me. The fact that it is an autographed copy didn't hurt either. In my cart it went and home it came. I am now waiting for the right time to read it. The Fourth of July weekend is coming up as is our family camping trip...so many choices. I even considered reading it last night when I couldn't sleep, but I knew I should wait. For now, it sits on my bookshelf. I know that whenever I decide to read it, The City will be worth the wait. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment