Friday, November 5, 2010

A "Grandma's Luncheon" Celebration

I am pretty sure that someone somewhere has said, "The road to blog writing is paved with good intentions." Of course, you probably haven't read it on any blog anywhere since the originator of the saying hasn't had time to write it down. This is basically how I've been feeling over the last couple of weeks. We've had all kinds of excitement in our family including our 25th wedding anniversary and Mary's 16th birthday. This doesn't even account for the "normal" stuff of our family like church, fencing tournaments, school and work. I finally figured out that I just need to take time to write in my blog instead of keeping those "good intentions" to myself!

One of the many things I am enjoying lately is the many celebrations we are now having as our family continues our Catholic journey. Not only did we celebrate our anniversary and birthdays (including Mary, my Dad & niece Jillian's this week alone), but we had All Saints Day on Monday and All Souls Day on Tuesday. Besides going to Mass, we also wanted to do a bit more celebrating these important days in the liturgical calendar! We ended up inviting my parents over for a "Grandma's Luncheon" for Dad and Mary's birthday as well as a way to honor my late Grandma Pitalo and Grandma Aziz.

We set the table using the yellow rose china that Grandma Aziz had passed down to me along with a lace tablecloth reminiscent of the numerous dinners Grandma Pitalo always had for us. The menu consisted of Chicken Scarpellio (Grandma Pitalo), salad, risotto, and bread sticks. Brian and I had picked up a bottle of Charles Shaw Pinot Grigio at Trader Joe's last week while on our anniversary trip, and it was remarkably drinkable~ my dad and Brian both enjoyed a glass with lunch! For dessert, we indulged in Grandma Aziz' Apple Cake with some caramel vanilla ice cream~ except for Cari who didn't get left out as I made her a flourless chocolate cake.

It was a really nice afternoon, and everyone enjoyed the food as much as being together! I am looking forward to keeping up with the blog as well as continuing to learn about celebrating the many days we Catholics get to commemorate!!

Grandma's Apple Cake
3 c. flour
2 c. sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 lg. apples, peeled and sliced
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. Wesson oil
4 eggs
1/2 c. orange juice
2 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Grease and flour bundt pan. In medium bowl, mix together apples and cinnamon together; set aside. Beat eggs, oil, sugar, vanilla and orange juice together until smooth. Sprinkle 1/2 of apple mixture in pan. Pour half of batter in pan. Lay remaining apples on top; pour remaining batter over apples and spread evenly with spatula.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until done. Let cool on rack for 10 minutes then invert onto serving plate.
*Grandma always dusted the top with powdered sugar, but I like to make a glaze by mixing 1 cup powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons apple juice. I pour the glaze over the cake just as it's been put on the plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment