Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Middle of the Week Wanderings- TGKBC April Update


Vanilla Ginger Cake

I've still been doing lots of baking as part of my self-induced "Great Keatley Baking Challenge". The biggest issue has been being busy doing other things and having to sometimes almost force myself to bake. A couple of Sundays ago I was in the mood for something sweet, so I made this Vanilla Ginger Cake. The flavor choice came from the ginger that was sitting in the refrigerator waiting to be used. I had made candied ginger before, so I thought I'd do it again and use it for part of the flavor profile of this little cake. It may not look like it, but it was baked in two 6" pans. I made a full batch of frosting (and used the whole bowl) which is why it looks a bit "frosting heavy". 
Brian and I enjoyed it over a number of days as it was so rich (again, I am sure because of the amount of delicious frosting). Here's my recipe for a small Vanilla Ginger Cake:

VANILLA GINGER CAKE

For Cake:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cups granulated sugar (use vanilla sugar if you have it)
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup milk
2 Tbsp. candied ginger, cut into small pieces

For Frosting:
2 sticks butter, softened
16 oz box powdered sugar
1 Tbsp. vanilla
2-3 Tbsp. heavy cream
1/4 cup candied ginger, cut into small pieces

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350°F.  
Mix flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
Beat butter in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed 30 seconds or until softened. Add granulated sugar and vanilla; beat until light and fluffy, scraping down sides of bowl frequently. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Alternately beat in flour mixture and milk on medium-low speed just until mixed. Fold in candied ginger. Pour into two greased and floured 6-inch baking pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes on rack then turn out to continue cooling.

For the Frosting, beat butter in large bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually add confectioners' sugar, beating well after each addition and scraping sides and bottom of bowl frequently. Add milk and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy. Fold in candied ginger. Frost when cake is cooled completely. 

You can serve right away or store in the refrigerator. I stored mine, uncovered for 1 hour then covered with plastic wrap. I think it stayed nicer and longer in the refrigerator. 

Hope you enjoy this recipe!
~Mangia Mamma


No comments:

Post a Comment