Thursday, June 26, 2014

Summer Soup Time

,Woke up this morning with the head stuffies having turned into a full fledged cold. This being the case, I took what seemed like a medicine chest full of help then relaxed on our "reading chair" while drinking a cup of cold care tea. David came downstairs and I shamelessly asked him to make me some breakfast. I ended up breaking my fast with a nice plate of eggs, toast & apple slices. After breakfasting with David and the U.S. vs. Germany World Cup game, I thought I'd get around a bit and make some soup. I had split pea in mind, but alas, with all the assorted legumes in my cupboard, there was nary a pea to be found. Thanks to our CSA produce from Pitchfork & Crow, we have an abundance of yummy veggies, so I decided on a ham & veggie soup instead.  Here's what I made-

Simple Ham & Veggie Soup
2 tablespoons oil of choice - I used a blend of untoasted sesame oil & olive oil
3 carrots
1 onion
5 stalks celery
2 garlic scapes
8 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 cabbage
2 cups diced red potatoes
8 cups chicken stock - you can use vegetable broth if preferred
2 cups chopped ham
2 tsp. mixed herbs of choice - I used marjoram and thyme
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2-1 tsp. salt, to taste
Fresh parsley, for garnish

Chop all vegetables into bite size pieces. In large pot, heat oil over medium high. Add vegetables, garlic and herbs & reduce to medium heat. Let cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add stock and bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 12-15 minutes. Add ham, pepper and salt to taste. Let simmer 10 minutes or so. Garnish with parsley.

This works great with any assortment of veggies. It's also terrific with some grated Parmesan cheese over the top. 
Mangia!


No comments:

Post a Comment