Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Sew Crafty...

I feel very fortunate as I sit here typing this- having just eaten a yummy dinner of Schmalz's Kielbasy- my favorite kielbasa that can be found at Winco- and veggies (multi-colored peppers and onions) grilled by Mary along with a super spicy cucumber-radish-green onion-chickpea relish adapted from Food 52 and homemade tater tots with cheddar from Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice~ I didn't realize when I went on, but the blog is from Reeni, who is also part of the Baking Partners group I recently joined. She's got some great recipes on there. The rest of the dinner was super good but the tots were amazing!  Right now, I am listening to Joshua play some new tunes on his penny whistle while the sun is starting to sink a bit lower in the early evening sky.
Kielbasa and Veggie Kabobs
Homemade Tater Tots
Spicy and Yummy Relish
Since I have Tuesdays off, I decided to work on some sewing/crafting projects. I've been needing to make a Thomas More College pennant to take to the salle as we have pennants hung from all the schools our fencers have gone onto. Why did have to make one instead of just ordering it? For those of you who don't know, Joshua's school only has about 120 students-yes, that's right 120 TOTAL students! It's really great, but needless to say, TMC doesn't have much "swag", as Joshua calls it. This is why I had the opportunity to make one. I am pretty happy with the way it turned out, having been my first pennant- making experience.
TMC Swag!
The other project I made today were reusable lunch bags. I found these on Pinterest (I know you're shocked) from a sweet website called craftbuds. It's a fun website with patterns, ideas and great stories of fabric artists who are realizing their dreams as they start their own businesses. The project actually started yesterday as Joshua and I headed to Greenbaum's while we waited for Mary to finish up her dog walking job. I not only wanted to pick up some fabric for the bags, but Cari had told me they had the Our Lady of Guadalupe fabric in stock again. I ended up buying one yard of the Our Lady fabric plus a couple of half yards of other fabric for bags. There were also some sale buttons that I picked up for future projects. Cari talked me into getting some iron-on vinyl from Heat N Bond to try with the bags. I had never used it before, and it was easy to iron on as well as to sew. I'm not sure I like the finished bag; it sort of looks a little wrinkled but not too bad. The other two bags I made with the cotton fabric and interfacing to stiffen it a bit. They were a fun project and simple to make!
Bags are ready to use for lots of stuff!


No comments:

Post a Comment