Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pesto for David

If you've read any of my older posts, you will have read about David's tree nut allergy. I have pretty much stopped cooking with nuts which doesn't bother me too much, except I really like to make pesto when basil is in season. So I was happy to find a sunflower seed/basil pesto recipe over at FeralKitchen. Her recipe is pretty much a basic pesto, but it's made with sunflower seeds instead of pine nuts. Here's my take on it-

David's Pesto

4 cups loosely packed basil leaves
1 cup raw sunflower seeds
4 cloves garlic, cut into chunks
2 oz. Parmigiano Reggiano, cut into cubes
1 t. Kosher salt
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Place basil, sunflower seeds, garlic, cheese and salt in food processor. Pulse until combined. With food processor running, drizzle in oil; continue running until smooth. May be kept in airtight container in refrigerator for up to two weeks. Delicious over pasta or mixed in scrambled eggs or mixed with mayonnaise for a sandwich spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment