Friday, October 22, 2010

It's Gettin' Chili...and cornbread


Another change our family has faced this autumn is the amount of hours I am teaching fencing at our local fencing salle- Salem Classical Fencing. Since I am still the main cook in the house, we've been doing more crock-pot and one-pot dishes in order for me to be able to get other stuff done around the house. Starting to make dinner in the late morning has enabled us to choose to eat what's been cooked for our noontime meal or dinner~ for me that is after 9 p.m. three nights a week. I have also tried going back to weekly menus~ what a difference they have been making as I actually know what to make during the week without coming home after a long afternoon of teaching people how to properly poke each other with swords!

This week's menu has been interesting as I've been trying to make use of what's in the larder without going shopping (especially since it's almost the end of the month which means not a lot in the checking account). I decided to make chili (you could try Ron's Chili as it is delicious and pretty easy) on Tuesday as Cari was coming over, and it's something she can eat without having to worry about the gluten-thing. There was some cabbage in the fridge, so I knew coleslaw was in order. Since a bowl of chili is always better with cornbread (in my humble opinion), we tried a cornbread recipe that uses rice flour. I made a few other minor adjustments (like making a larger batch!!), and it turned out to be one of the best cornbreads I have ever eaten!

Anyway- here's the cornbread recipe for you to try. It's so good you'll forget it's got no gluten!

Cornbread for Cari

2 cups white rice flour
1 1/2 cups stone-ground corn grits (I use Bob's Red Mill)
6 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
2 tablespoons butter
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups milk
1/2 cup melted butter

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place 2 tablespoons butter in 9 x 13 baking dish and put in oven while preheating.
Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. In a small bowl combine remaining ingredients; add to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Pour batter into preheated baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Serve warm.
*This is so delicious, it doesn't even need extra butter~ although a bit of honey goes nicely with it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment